Nobody wants a crabby or unhappy neighbor. There are enough problems in this world and we should all do our best to live together in harmony. Just think what a better place the world would be if we look beyond our own petty problems and do what we can to help each other. If someone you know is blue or just having a bad day, do what you can to bring a smile to their face.
- Visit – Older people are especially lonely sometimes. Everyone else is busy with work, raising kids and a multitude of other interest they forget about someone in their neighborhood that can’t get out much or doesn’t have visitors very often. Just stopping by to say hello can bring a bright spot to a forlorn friend.
- Help with chores – Do you know someone who has an injury or illness and is having trouble with simple chores like taking out the garbage? Even if they don’t have any physical problems, lending a hand is sure to cheer them up.
- Yard work – Does one of your neighbors have a yard that has gotten out of control? Instead of just complaining to the other neighbors, pitch in and help. Pull a few weeds or trim some shrubs. Your efforts will be appreciated by everyone on the block.
- Tell a joke – Laughter is the best cure for a sour disposition. I’m sure you’ve heard a good joke lately that your neighbor would enjoy. Don’t keep it to yourself!
- Harmless prank – Is your neighbor a practical joker? I’m sure he’ll enjoy it just as much if the joke is on him. Put a goofy surprise in his garbage can or hide his garden gnomes. Make sure no harm is done and you can both have a good chuckle.
- Decorate – Cheer up the whole neighborhood by decorating for the current season or holiday. There’s no need to go overboard, but give your neighbors something festive or fun to look at as they pass by.
- Flowers – Nothing is better to brighten someone’s day than a beautiful bouquet of flowers or a flowering plant. Pick up whatever is in season to surprise someone for no reason at all. The smiles you get in return will outshine the posies.
- Food – Bring a smile to someone’s face by stopping over with some goodies. Cakes, cookies and pies are always a big hit or try a new recipe and share it with a friend. Nobody can resist a smile when confronted with a special treat.
- Gift – Lift your neighbor’s spirits by bringing a special gift. It doesn’t need to be anything expensive or elaborate but just something to let them know you care.
- Just listen – Sometimes people just need someone they can talk to who will lend a sympathetic ear. You might not be able to solve their problems, but just listening can help to brighten their day.
Don’t let your neighbors go around with a frown. Do what you can to turn it upside down. A small effort on your part can cheer up a friend and make your neighborhood a better place for everyone.