Have you ever had a sinking feeling at the sound of a ringing phone? Or been awakened in the wee hours by an unexpected call? Everyone can imagine any number of scenarios in which they’ve received a phone call that they wish had never come. The following is a list of 10 phone calls no one wants to receive:
- Death in the Family – Probably first on anyone’s list, this is a call for which there can be no preparation or remedy. Even when the news might have been expected, as in the case of those suffering from a long-term illness, you just are never ready for this call.
- Your Doctor – You’ve been awaiting test results and finally receive word from the family physician. Good news or not, this call is always dreaded.
- Police – Unless it’s a pledge drive (and even then!), it’s hard to imagine any good coming from a call from the local law enforcement personnel.
- Reverse 911 – Much like the above call, a reverse 911 call, in which local authorities contact citizens regarding emergency situations, is never a good thing.
- Wrong Number – Once may be a minor inconvenience, but have you ever gotten issued a phone number that seemed to have been once used by an apparently very popular individual. And it seems as often as not, he or she was most popular with creditors and bill collectors, doesn’t it?
- Telemarketers – Is there ever a good time to be interrupted by a telephone sales pitch?
- Collect Calls – With the possible exception of a child attending a distant college, it’s no fun having the charges reversed to you. Even worse is when you hear, “You are receiving a collect call from the county jail. Will you accept the charges?”
- “Is Your Refrigerator Running?” – Crank calls, while potentially amusing, are usually not quite as funny when they’re at your expense – especially when the only thing running at that hour is your refrigerator.
- Surveys/Polls – These things can last for days if you let them get started. You could be answering several dozen questions about your TV viewing habits before you know it.
- Political Campaigners – As if a bajillion yard signs and billboards across the landscape aren’t enough, now they’re calling you to be sure to vote for Our Man Smedley. And you probably weren’t planning to vote at all, were you?
Clearly, this list is not exhaustive, and you’ve probably thought of a few of your own examples of unwanted phone calls. Two things are certain, though: it pays to have Caller ID, and it’s good to keep in touch with those you love … often.